[Coco] reading second side of real floppy disk on VCC

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Mon May 6 12:17:53 EDT 2024

On Mon, May 6, 2024 at 10:46 AM Alex Evans via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com>
wrote:

> The original DECB ROMS are set up for single sided drives and use the side
> select alone to select drive 3, so DS1, DS2, DS3, and SS for drives 0-3.
> With the patched ROMS that are commonly used it is DS1, DS2, DS1+SS,
> DS2+SS. Assuming that VCC works properly with double sided drives for
> things like OS-9, your issue may be that you are using the unpatched DECB
> ROMS.

This is what I keep pinned in some of my floppy information in Discord:
```
CoCo Disk Basic x.1
ROM Addresses for drive # table
$D89D = $01    ; Drive #0 = Real floppy 0
$D89E = $02    ; Drive #1 = Real Floppy 1
$D89F = $04    ; Drive #2 = Real Floppy 2
$D8A0 = $40    ; Drive #3 = Real Floppy 3 OR Backside of double sided
floppy drives
To change Drive #2 to back side of real floppy 0 do the following
POKE &HD89F,&H41
To change Drive #3 to back side of real floppy 1 do the following
POKE &HD8A0,&H42
```
If you were to want to do that in a CoCo 1 or 2 you need to make sure you
have 64K and you are in all RAM mode for these pokes to work.
Since he is using VCC then this should work without problem as CoCo3 is
always in all RAM mode when dealing with Super Extended Color Basic.

> <cut>

Sincerely,
David Ladd
***END OF LINE***