[Coco] HDBDOS ROM

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 13:44:52 EDT 2023

On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 7:01 AM Bill Gunshannon via Coco <
coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> If I want to build an HDBDOS ROM for IDE and DW4 how do I do it?

Currently HDBDOS only supports one HDD type device at a time.

If you want to be able to support the Glenside IDE and DriveWire4 you would
probably need to use Brett's YA-DOS which supports multiple HDD types at
once.

> I must have to put the numbers for C/H/S somewhere and then I

In this case newer devices and CF cards should be able to do LBA.

> would need to know which object in the Makefile would build a
>
> ROM with both IDE and DW in it.  I've looked at some of the source
>
> but I am not sure how to go about actually building it.  My desire is
>
> to make a PROM to go in the funny slot of the Glenside IDE controller

The funny connector on the Glenside IDE is 3 spots for a cart slot to be
soldered onto it so it also acts like a Y cable.
In this case you could use a reproduction game cart to install your custom
EPROM or EEPROM into.
I have used some of these:
https://gitlab.com/NF6X_Retrocomputing/CoCoEPROMpak
And also some cases from:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2536842

> and put a CF to IDE in the IDE connector and set it up to run NitrOS9
>

> from the disk.

When you go to configure Disk Basic area you must remember HDBDOS/RGBDOS
only does 256 virtual drives from drive 0 to drive 255.  Though on a IDE
drive you loose half the 512Byte sector.  I don't remember the default
offset that has always been used with HDBDOS.  I know the space used is
roughly 82575360Bytes.
The math I did to come up with this is:
Tracks / sectors / sector size / number of drives
((35 * 18) * 512) * 256

Now that was just for Disk Basic part

Then you have the NitrOS-9 part of the setup.  Normally you want to stay
within a 128MB area as any larger would cause NitrOS-9 to require a larger
cluster size and a LOT of the older disk utilities will not work on cluster
sizes larger than 1.

Mark, from Cloud9 and others who have used the SuperIDE can probably give
good tutorials on this or links to information on the setup of the
GlensideIDE/SuperIDE with the current HDBDOS.

> bill

Sincerely,
David Ladd
***END OF LINE***