[Coco] Uemacs

Jeff Teunissen deek at d2dc.net
Sun Feb 13 21:24:23 EST 2022

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 12:42 PM Bill Gunshannon
<bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/11/22 02:39, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 4:14 PM Bill Gunshannon
> > <bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> >> same problem exists in both versions.  And, as a side  note,
> >> the Password prompt for login doesn't successfully turn echo
> >> off either.  :-)
> >
> > It's even worse, login doesn't even try to turn echo off.

[snip]

>  From login.asm

Huh, that's interesting. In that case, I wonder why it's broken.

[snip]

> > As for uemacs, I have been seeking out all the various versions of
> > uemacs so that I can put every change everyone made in the '80s into
> > context, get the difference between the CoCo port and the original
> > MicroEMACS source, and make a patch that can be applied to other
> > versions of the code. If that is possible, we could maybe update the
> > code to newer releases.
>
> I have a couple other copies but I don't see any chance of going
> beyond what we have as size is a problem.  I have used MicroEMACS
> since the original PC version under DOS.  I have also used real
> EMACS on things like VMS, PRIMOS and Unix so I am comfortable
> with it.  It kind of works now but I have had at least one case
> where it truncated a file but that may have been my fault.  As
> I said, I do almost all of my work from a remote terminal using
> Putty so I have a full size screen and real keyboard.  As a long
> time programmer it makes a big difference.

MicroEMACS never really became a big program, so size isn't really on
my list of concerns. The problem is that when it was originally ported
from Unix the person who ported it did a lot of reformatting to fit
more text on a Level 1 CoCo. There was a later port that had reverse
video for the status line on a Level 2 window, but that's not
available in source form as far as I know.

Like I said, my goal is to isolate the changes so that they can be
applied to a pristine MicroEMACS source distribution. And once that
has been done, those changes can be applied to _any_ version.