[Coco] Uemacs

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 19:56:45 EST 2022

On 2/13/22 21:24, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 12:42 PM Bill Gunshannon
> <bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2/11/22 02:39, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
>>> On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 4:14 PM Bill Gunshannon
>>> <bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]

>>> It's even worse, login doesn't even try to turn echo off.
>
> [snip]
>
>>   From login.asm
>
> Huh, that's interesting. In that case, I wonder why it's broken.

Didn't really take the time to look. Would rather figure out what
it does and re-write it in C.  :-)

> [snip]
>
>>> As for uemacs, I have been seeking out all the various versions of
>>> uemacs so that I can put every change everyone made in the '80s into
>>> context, get the difference between the CoCo port and the original
>>> MicroEMACS source, and make a patch that can be applied to other
>>> versions of the code. If that is possible, we could maybe update the
>>> code to newer releases.
>>
>> I have a couple other copies but I don't see any chance of going
>> beyond what we have as size is a problem.  I have used MicroEMACS
>> since the original PC version under DOS.  I have also used real
>> EMACS on things like VMS, PRIMOS and Unix so I am comfortable
>> with it.  It kind of works now but I have had at least one case
>> where it truncated a file but that may have been my fault.  As
>> I said, I do almost all of my work from a remote terminal using
>> Putty so I have a full size screen and real keyboard.  As a long
>> time programmer it makes a big difference.
>
> MicroEMACS never really became a big program, so size isn't really on
> my list of concerns. The problem is that when it was originally ported
> from Unix the person who ported it did a lot of reformatting to fit
> more text on a Level 1 CoCo. There was a later port that had reverse
> video for the status line on a Level 2 window, but that's not
> available in source form as far as I know.
>
> Like I said, my goal is to isolate the changes so that they can be
> applied to a pristine MicroEMACS source distribution. And once that
> has been done, those changes can be applied to _any_ version.

Would be nice.  I wold like it to support VT100 (or better) rather
than just ANSI which is display only.  I would like to see the arrow
keys, function keys and maybe even the keypad work under OS9.  I am
looking at other screen editors, too, Not everyone likes EMACS.  :-)

bill