[Coco] CoCo BASICS - clarification on the differences?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Apr 4 21:28:02 EDT 2017

Nope, ECB1 takes 16k of ROM, that is, 8k of ROM for CB itself which is the main
programme, and then a 8k of ROM that is a plugin for CB that turns it into ECB1.

Shadow RAM is when you use RAM to hold a copy of ROM, which makes them
modifiable using POKE (same feature exists also on the PC, on which the RAM was
also faster than ROM, but on the Coco you don't have that speedup). For Cocos
that have less than 64k, this feature is disabled and irrelevant.

The reason ECB1 would "require at least 16k" is because 4k is too tight when
using graphic modes (PMODE). CB's own reserved RAM always takes the first k of
RAM, then 32x16 text/semigraphic mode takes the next half k, and then you have
2.5k left for your tokenised BASIC program, plus all your strings (A$,...) and
arrays, plus the graphics mode RAM (which can't overlap the text mode RAM).
PMODE 0 takes 1.5k per screen ; the other PMODEs take either 3k or 6k per
screen.

Technically, there is enough room for using ECB1 or ECB2 with 4k as long as no
graphics are used, or if only PMODE 0 is used and the BASIC programme is very
tiny, but it doesn't mean that the authors bothered to make ECB able to run with
4k of RAM, I don't know.