[Coco] CoCo BASICS - clarification on the differences?

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Tue Apr 4 23:59:26 EDT 2017

There's actually a way to test for what Extended Basic will do when you
have only 4K of RAM available, if you have a CoCo 1 with a Color Basic
version that checks on startup whether the machine has 4K.  (This test was
eliminated in later Color Basic versions for CoCo models where only 16K and
64K were available.)

Anyway, if you hold down the shift and break keys and hit reset, it fools
the machine into thinking it has 4K.  You find that only very few commands
work;  most give an OM error with Extended Basic.  The few commands that
work are generally ones that have no arguments, like CLOADM.

(This is the Basis of the shift-break-reset method of breaking copy
protection that was written about in one of Marty Goodman's Rainbow
columns.  On one of these machines that checks for 4K, you can break out of
a copy-protected program with shift-break-reset and then use CLOADM and
EXEC to run a cassette program that will copy memory contents and return
you to 64K mode.)

Hmm, I wonder if shift-break-reset will work under an emulator?

Art