[Coco] What does it mean to be a member of the CoCo community?

Mark D. Overholser marko555.os2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 15:05:34 EDT 2017

On 04-Apr-17 08:05, Steve Strowbridge wrote:
> So maybe this post will spark some interests and response, but as I
> compile my thoughts and experiences of being a part of several CoCo
> channels, such as this list, the Facebook page, The Podcast, the
> comments I get from around the web on YouTube, it really got me
> thinking, what does it mean to be a member of the CoCo community?

Hello Steve...

I am Very New to the CoCo...  I only started about 5 years ago, because
I bought a Platinum Apple //e System from a guy that Also Had a, New In
Box CoCo 3 from a Correspondence Course to Learn about Computers and
Programming..

Since then I have added Two CoCo 2s and a CoCo 1, Two MPIs and a couple
FD-501 Drives...  And an RS-232 Pack..   And a Couple CoCoSDCs and a
Dragon 64...

> - Is there a hierarchy to it? - Is there a reluctance to accept
> "newcomers"

Yes, there is a Hierarchy...    But as a Newcomer I have felt very
Welcome...   It is Helpful at this point in time that many Classic
Collectors also collect other Brands and Models of Classic Computers....

> - How do the veterans feel about newcomers

I am unqualified to respond to this point.. ;)

> - What are the "requirements" to be "accepted" or be deemed
> "legitimate"

As a Long Time Apple ][ and Commodore user, I accept newcomers that are
willing to learn about the Systems, and their History, as far as the
Hardware and Software go ( Bonus Point for learning Company History ).
Furthering the line through new Hardware and Software is a very tangible
proof that they are interested in the Platform...

I would "assume" that the Long Time CoCoNuts are of the "same mind set"..

> - Is there an actual "Great divide" between OS9 and RS-DOS?

I have only "tackled" RS-DOS..  At some point I will look into Flex, OS9
and Fuzix..

There seems to be a "clear line" between the RS-DOS and OS9 Camps.  With
a few that work with both..   I can't remember seeing any animosity
between the two camps in the few years I have been here, but I get the
feeling that BITD, it was a Very Big Deal..

> - You name it

That is ALL that I have..  For Now....

Thank You Steve for "motivating" the CoCo Community like you have...
Your Video Play throughs, the Video Interviews, the CoCoTALKS and
everything...   You Rock!!!!!

MarkO