[Coco] What does it mean to be a member of the CoCo community?

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 15:25:01 EDT 2017

Hello Steve (and all),

Here’s my story in joining the group...

I am somewhat of a newcomer too, I think I joined the list sometime in 2014.
At that time, I was only vaguely aware of what a Color Computer was to tell
the truth.  I’d always been into computers and had had a habit of collecting and
playing with old systems for many years.

One day, I found myself looking at two old machines I had snagged off of eBay.
What the heck were these?  I started searching the web and learning a bit, and
discovered I had a couple of CoCo2’s.

I didn’t have any disk or cassette drives for these things, so I went searching about
for some kind of storage, and learned about the CoCo SDC.  And that’s when I
fount the email list here…

Anyway, I couldn’t get an SDC as no one was making them at the time.  I just happened
to come along at a time when there were some others that wanted them as well and
were discussing on the group as to whether Darren would allow someone to
produce them.  He replied that he didn’t have a problem with that, and I jumped at
the opportunity.  Badly wanting a couple for myself, I volunteered to produce a run.

I opened up a list for interested parties, and had to cap it at 100 SDC's before I got in
over my head!   It was my first time doing a run of anything you see…

Making these, and getting them sent out to everybody, I got to know the CoCoList
group, and realized what a great community was here, with a lot of history.

I’d been pretty heavy into the N8VEM group, building lots of single board and bus
based computers and experimenting with hardware and software there.  So what I
found in the CoCo group fit with my interests very well, with it’s great history of
hardware and software projects, etc…

So I came looking for a CoCo SDC, and stayed for the great group I found here.

Since then there’s been a lot of fun projects, and I’ve really tried my best to contribute
to this great community, which welcomed me in as if I had always been a part of it.

It’s been awesome to see the revival of interest and activity that’s been going on for
some time now, with new people joining in, and so many hardware and software
projects being pursued.

What I’d consider the CoCo community online is this mailing list, the Facebook group,
and the CoCoFPGA group mostly.  The MC-10 and Dragon groups are also closely related and
kind of an extension of our community in some ways as well.

Now to your questions… (These are all just my opinions.)

>   - Is there a hierarchy to it?

No, not really.  It seems to be a pretty informal community.
Everyone pursues and involves themselves in things as they see fit.
There’s no real hierarchy, though I suppose we do have “prominent” members,
based on how active they are in the community, or their long-standing
participation in all things CoCo...

>   - Is there a reluctance to accept "newcomers"

That sure hasn’t been what I’ve observed or experienced.  Everyone is welcome.

>   - How do the veterans feel about newcomers

I guess they’ll have to answer that one, I don’t think I’m a veteran yet…
I think they are glad to see the interest in the CoCo.

>   - What are the "requirements" to be "accepted" or be deemed "legitimate"

Have an interest in these machines?  Join the group(s)?

>   - Is there an actual "Great divide" between OS9 and RS-DOS?

Maybe.  People seem to either love it or run away from it (OS9).   :D

I guess that’s it…  Hopefully this was what you were looking for, and not just me rambling…   :)

By the way Steve, you’re contributing a lot to the group with what you’ve been doing.
Very good for our community I think!

- Ed