[Coco] Color Computer (1) Power Switch

George Ramsower georgera at gvtc.com
Tue Aug 4 01:03:17 EDT 2015

On 8/3/2015 8:47 PM, Joel Ewy wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Does anybody know of a source for a pin-compatible power switch for
> the original silver CoCo?  I have a pretty nice looking 4K CoCo that
> has a broken power switch -- the plastic post that runs through the
> center of it, on which the external power button goes, is broken off
> like a quarter of the way into the housing, and missing.  Of course
> it's broken in the 'off' position.  I'd like to get this running again
> without doing something ugly to it. Somewhere I have the power switch
> from a CoCo 3 that I un-soldered back when repacking them in a mini
> tower case was all the rage, but I haven't been able to turn it up and
> I'm not confident that it's a drop-in replacement for the one in the
> CoCo 1.  Anybody else had (and solved) this problem?  If I can get it
> working it may go in an exhibit of classic computers at a local maker
> space for a few weeks.  I wouldn't dream of doing such a display
> without a CoCo, but we want these machines running, not just static
> displays.
>
> JCE

  The on/off switch on the coco was always turning off/on the SECONDARY
of the transformer. So, even if turned off, the AC power was always
applied to the transformer. You can poke it with an insulated "Poker" to
turn it on and just leave it that way.
  As was said, use a power strip that has an on/off switch to turn it on
and off. Then you can use that power strip for other things the coco has
connected to it except, of course, an X10 timer/controller or anything
else that might have a need for power all the time.

  Piece of cake!!

George R.