[Coco] Color Computer (1) Power Switch

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Aug 4 14:46:22 EDT 2015

On 08/04/2015 12:03 AM, George Ramsower wrote:
> On 8/3/2015 8:47 PM, Joel Ewy wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> Does anybody know of a source for a pin-compatible power switch for
>> the original silver CoCo?  I have a pretty nice looking 4K CoCo that
>> has a broken power switch -- the plastic post that runs through the
>> center of it, on which the external power button goes, is broken off
>> like a quarter of the way into the housing, and missing.  Of course
>> it's broken in the 'off' position.  I'd like to get this running
>> again without doing something ugly to it. Somewhere I have the power
>> switch from a CoCo 3 that I un-soldered back when repacking them in a
>> mini tower case was all the rage, but I haven't been able to turn it
>> up and I'm not confident that it's a drop-in replacement for the one
>> in the CoCo 1.  Anybody else had (and solved) this problem? If I can
>> get it working it may go in an exhibit of classic computers at a
>> local maker space for a few weeks.  I wouldn't dream of doing such a
>> display without a CoCo, but we want these machines running, not just
>> static displays.
>>
>> JCE
>>

>  The on/off switch on the coco was always turning off/on the SECONDARY
> of the transformer. So, even if turned off, the AC power was always
> applied to the transformer. You can poke it with an insulated "Poker"
> to turn it on and just leave it that way.
>  As was said, use a power strip that has an on/off switch to turn it
> on and off. Then you can use that power strip for other things the
> coco has connected to it except, of course, an X10 timer/controller or
> anything else that might have a need for power all the time.
>
>  Piece of cake!!

Yeah, I figured that out about switching the secondary while poking
around with a DMM.  Now that I see it's stuck on instead of stuck off, I
can switch it externally, though I'll probably try one of those DigiKey
switches.  I guess it's too late for the 4K contest, but maybe I can try
out the entries.

JCE