[Coco] SysCall source listing

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Nov 27 14:54:26 EST 2013

On Wednesday 27 November 2013 13:19:32 Wayne Campbell did opine:

> Fishing?? I think I heard of that somewhere. Let me think...
>
> Oh yeah! That thing that looks like a whip stick with loops on it and a
> string running through it? I used one of those things once. I thought I
> was going to die from the boredom. Of course, I was only 17 at the
> time, and fishing was not on my list of important things to do, like go
> where there were girls and stuff. Maybe I should think of revisiting
> it. First I have to retire from working on things and volunteering my
> time. I use alot of time doing those things.

There is that too, but its called hobbies in some circles.  But you are
still in the 'working' class, not old enough for SS yet.  Me, I build a
piece of furniture from time to time, and have converted a 7x12 lathe to
full CNC control with a 6x heavier spindle motor and ball screw drive, so
the accuracy, under computer control is about a thou.

And a small tabletop square post mill with 4 axis's of motion with numerous
improvements, but no ball screws (yet) that can work to about a thou
tolerance in the 3 basic moves, and a cheap, sloppy rotary table can be
mounted on the XY table and controlled to small pieces of an arc second if
the cutting forces do not cause it to take up its backlash of perhaps .2
degrees depending on the exact position of the worm and bull gear since
they both have a bit of eccentricity, perhaps .0005" each that I haven't
managed to wear in, yet.  Cheap India made, only $110 at grizzly.

Current project for it, is mounting an endoscope camera ($22 + ship, ebay)
looking straight down from a position on the side of the spindle carrier Z
axis housing, which will eventually replace my present method of locating
the back side of a pcb I am milling, by drilling 2 holes all the way
through the board in unused edge locations, recording the positions by
moving the XY table to put those 2 holes exactly at the cameras crosshairs
so that the difference when the board is turned over and the same 2 holes
measured and recorded again, can be used to calculate the offsets needed to
locate the backside of the boards co-ordinate system, all with nothing more
than a series of mouse clicks.  The target is, as I can do now with a much
more labor intensive procedure, to be able to drill a parts lead hole,
halfway thru the thickness of the board, turn the board over and drill from
the other side with the holes meeting in the center of the board thickness
with undetectable offsets,  straight thru IOW.

Currently because I am using electrical contact between the inside of a
small brass pipe inset into a corner of the board, or to the copper of the
board itself and the cutting tool to do a lot of this auto positioning, but
it demands I make an insulating micarta pallet to hold the board that is
cut on the bottom with a hold down slot (in the X table) fitting "fin" so
that it cannot rotate should I remove it and remount it later, then turned
over and a pocket milled to fit the board, then drilled & tapped for a
bunch of flat head 0-80 screws to both hold the board flat, and to wedge it
against the 2 sides of the cutout (the board itself needs to be filed such
that it fits the cutout with no more than 2 or 3 thou slop) so there is an
absolute reference from an arbitrarily established rear edge, and the same
edge of the board when its turned over to do the other side.  This bit of
pallet making tomfoolery takes about 2 days to do when the board size
changes by even 5 thou.

All that can now be nothing more than a micarta pallet that can be mounted
on the table without any great regard for how square it is to the table and
its motion, and with only 2 reference edges machined in the pallet to
locate two edges of the raw board, and its turned over and the same 2 edges
are pushed back into the v-pocket, re-clamped and the camera used to
determine the corrections needed by measuring where those 2 holes are when
turned over.  The board still needs to be insulated of course, so the hold
downs will still need to be insulated.  But I won't have to make a new one
for each board.  Even the 2 thru holes can be drilled by the same technique
by locating the hole in the bed of the pallet, and going backwards with the
offset so the drill bit doing the drilling will re-enter the same hole in
the pallet bed.  But that hole has to be cleaned up some as the act of
drilling rises a rim around the hole which would then hold the pcb a couple
thou high, screwing up the actual etch operation by making the bit carve
too deep.  So, we drill that first pair of holes, then mill the flat bottom
of the 2 sided pocket which solves that problem by removing that rim.

I am totally blown away by the some of the idiocy I see on youtube where
the guy is using a std small jacobs chuck to hold his etching bit instead
of a well fitted collet, (that alone allows a 3 sided wobbling as the bit
turns) by running his machine to an arbitrary point above the board,
loosening the chuck and letting the bit drop to contact the board,
tightening the chuck and then carving or etching the board to whatever
depth his software drives it to, totally oblivious to the fact that
tightening the chuck is done by driving the jaws lower, carrying the bit
with them as much as 10 thou.  Then you look at his result, and the ditch
in the board is obviously a long ways into the fiberglass below the copper.
Among other side effects, dulling his $10 solid carbide bit 30x faster than
if he was only removing the copper.  Copper is easy on carbide, fiberglass
is not, so the bits tip shouldn't go more than .0002" below the copper,
that much, on the micarta pallet, and it will just slide without actually
cutting the glass.  But you must have both precise machinery, and equally
precise methods of measuring.  Electrical contact gives me 10x the accuracy
the machine is capable of, sub-micron when the applied voltage is only 5
volts.

The only thing dumber is our current political situation, but thats OT for
this list.

Once I get this working, then its time to consider a method of doing the
thru hole plating of a double sided board. So far no clue at the chemistry
involved in that. YAP, eg Yet Another Project, if I have time enough left
to do it. ;-)

About 1.5" of wet snow here, more forecast.  Survival goodies on hand for a
2 or 3 day siege, but both vehicles are 4wd, std issue in WV.  My now
rusted out 99 GMC pickup is usually referred to around these parts as a WV
Cadillac.  I twist the key, it takes me where I want to go. :)  Chains for
all 4 corners that haven't been on the ground more than 4 or 5 times since
I retired in 2002 are under the 3 door cabs foldup back seat.  Bring it on!

[...shorter years]

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

A small town that cannot support one lawyer can always support two.
         law-abiding citizens.