[Coco] 6809's CWAI & SYNC ops

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Mon Mar 4 11:15:52 EST 2013

This question is very close to the work I did on my thesis, "Compiler-Assisted Energy Reduction for Microprocessors: Measurement and Analysis" back in 2010. For that work, I measured the power dissipation of the 6309 (not the 6809) using various instructions.

I pulled out my thesis book and looked it up. On average, CWAI (18 cycles) consumed 6.771 milliwatts of power on a 6309 running at 1.78MHz. In relation to that, NOP consumed 8.758 milliwatts, LDQ #$0456B56A consumed 11.148 milliwatts, and the DIVQ instruction consume 14.104 milliwatts.

So for the 6309, there appears to be some power savings using CWAI, but as far as the chip running cooler as a result, I don't know, I didn't take temperature measurements.