[Coco] 6809's CWAI & SYNC ops

john dumas JohnDumas at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 4 19:31:57 EST 2013

On 3/4/2013 10:15 AM, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
> This question is very close to the work I did on my thesis, "Compiler-Assisted Energy Reduction for Microprocessors: Measurement and Analysis" back in 2010. For that work, I measured the power dissipation of the 6309 (not the 6809) using various instructions.
>
> I pulled out my thesis book and looked it up. On average, CWAI (18 cycles) consumed 6.771 milliwatts of power on a 6309 running at 1.78MHz. In relation to that, NOP consumed 8.758 milliwatts, LDQ #$0456B56A consumed 11.148 milliwatts, and the DIVQ instruction consume 14.104 milliwatts.
>
> So for the 6309, there appears to be some power savings using CWAI, but as far as the chip running cooler as a result, I don't know, I didn't take temperature measurements.
I am not knowledgeable about the 6309, but it certainly seems reasonable
that you could see about 2:1 change
in power consumption from  a very active instruction to one where
portions of the chip are not switching (as I assume is
the case with CWAI), What I was alluding to is the great difference
between CMOS and Depletion Load NMOS  when
parts  - or all - of the chip stops switching. When CMOS goes static,
the power dissipation is primarily "leakage" - microwatts
in many cases. When stopped, there is no DC path from VDD to GND,,,,,
NMOS on the other hand always has a DC path from VDD to GND in many of
the gates, maybe 1/2. Thus, milliwatts
of power dissipation whether running or not.......

Of course, if the ROM is implemented as dynamic logic, as was often
done, you can get a good bit of power
savings by not fetching instructions while you are stopped. Still
nowhere near the savings of CMOS from active
to inactive states.

cheers,
johnd