[Coco] DW4 and Linux sound

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Nov 17 14:38:39 EST 2012

On Saturday 17 November 2012 14:31:31 Steven Hirsch did opine:

> Aaron,
>
> I just discovered that DW4 grabs /dev/dsp for sound output on Linux.
> That's not an optimal way to do things, since that device is not
> multiplexed.  When DW4 is running, nothing else can produce audio!

No clue what is going on with your system Steven, but I have yet to have
the DW gui, in any version, interfere with audio on this ubuntu-10.04.4 LTS
install.  You may want to look at the gui's config.xml as it probably can
be changed.  I am not setup ATM with a DW MIDI descriptor in my boot file,
so perhaps 4.3.0 doesn't acquire an audio device in that event?  Here,
grepping for /dev/ only shows the ttyUSB1 port I am using for DW.

> If you ever revisit this, it might be better to use the ALSA API for
> audio. ALSA lets you open the output device in a shared mode that mixes
> the sound from multiple applications.
>
> Otherwise, things look great!  I have not been active with my Coco
> systems in quite a while and was pleased to find that everything "just
> worked" when I installed 4.3.0 and fired up the Coco3.
>
> Steve

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder.