[Coco] DW4 and Linux sound

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 13:54:19 EST 2012

Aaron,

I just discovered that DW4 grabs /dev/dsp for sound output on Linux.
That's not an optimal way to do things, since that device is not
multiplexed.  When DW4 is running, nothing else can produce audio!

If you ever revisit this, it might be better to use the ALSA API for
audio. ALSA lets you open the output device in a shared mode that mixes
the sound from multiple applications.

Otherwise, things look great!  I have not been active with my Coco systems
in quite a while and was pleased to find that everything "just worked"
when I installed 4.3.0 and fired up the Coco3.

Steve