[Coco] stuff was Re: Microware C Compiler question

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sun Aug 21 22:03:18 EDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 01:49:13PM -0700, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
> [...]

Yep.  19b fixes the array-of-structs bug.

> WHAT??? This should be passed as an option, looking into a memory module is
> a huge very bad practice.

ccdevice is a data module.  That's what data modules are for.

If we were talking about anything but a data module I'd agree with you.
IPC by rummaging around in another program's space directly is a very
bad plan.

> Please do not suggest this for OS-9 at any time, I will get steamed up big
> time every time.

Well, I like the idea of data modules, but the implemntation is kind of
weak.  A good data-module editor and/or BASIC-09 support for them would
have made them a lot more useful.  Also, I've never actually tested
OS-9's locking and syncronization mechanisms for them.

I'm afraid we have a philosophical disagreement here.  Can we just agree
to disagree and move on?

> What, do it all. Make it simple for everyone!!!

The problem is that there are several different cc2's floating around,
with different incompatible option lists.  Making one uber-cc2 that is
compatible with all of them would be pretty much impossible.

While I like cc252, I'm not going to shove my mere opinion down anybody
else's throat.

> I am in the process of moving that information into preliminary pages for
> the C Compiler web pages.
>
> Please help, the first two quotes are from you.

Alright, I'll look it over and see what's needed.

> DED is the last tool I would suggest, it requires way too much knowledge.

>HUH, I know none that fit that description and my memory goes back to ~ 1970!?

DED's as good as anything I've used under MSDOS or UNIX.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard