[Coco] Microware C Compiler question

Sun Aug 21 16:49:13 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----

From: "Willard Goosey" <goosey at virgo.sdc.org>

To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:03 PM

Subject: Re: [Coco] Microware C Compiler question

> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 03:04:02PM -0400, Todd Wallace wrote:
>
>> So there is a version that the libs path can be changed,
>
> (BTW I'm assuming you have a 512K CoCo3. If you've got a CoCo1/2 there
> may be memory restrictions on the compiler I don't know about.
> Specifically I don't know if cprep19b will run under LI)
>
> Yes, but it still requires some binary editing, I'm afraid. The lib
> path is hardcoded into cc1/cc2. The linker itself doesn't know
> anything and expects full paths to all its files.

>>but am I understanding correctly that the header file path is fixed in
>>the preprocessor and no recent versions/patches change that?
>
> Tell you what, tell me where you want your header files to be and I'll
> build you a custom copy of cprep19b (the most current version of the
> preprocessor) that is hard-coded to look there.

OPPS, the current version is cprep19b is it not.

> As options I could also:
> 1) I have code from Gene to make cprep look in the memory module
> ccdevice that's part of cc252 to control where it looks for its files.
> ccdevice would still have to be patched but one patch would do it all.

WHAT??? This should be passed as an option, looking into a memory module is
a huge very bad practice.

Use DECB if you like "Programs that go Poke Loco in the CoCo".

?

Please do not suggest this for OS-9 at any time, I will get steamed up big
time every time.

> (I like this idea but I also like the "mix-n-match" nature of the
> compiler, so I hesitate to tightly bind cprep to one specific cc2, even
> the one that is, AFAIC, the best one.)

What, do it all. Make it simple for everyone!!!

Lets stop having to create new binaries or select different ones to do the
same job on different systems.

> 2)I could make cprep look in /dd/sys/env.file for INCLUDEPATH or some
> other "environment variable".
>
> (Either of those would take more time as I'd have to debug them.)
>
>>So I will always need to keep some files on the boot disk (/dd) ?
>
> DED is a very nice, friendly binary editor, don't be afraid of it.
>
>>I can list the filesizes of all the files I have. I think i got it from
>>maltedmedia or the other ftp site.
>
> For a list of the most current libraries, check the previous threads
> about C in the list's archive.

NO! NO! NO!

I am in the process of moving that information into preliminary pages for
the C Compiler web pages.

Please help, the first two quotes are from you.

Please help me build the pages and the .dsk files so you need not respond to
repeated requests that result in the OP doing what has been done so many
times before.

My original idea for a C Compiler web page(s) now has a home, we just now
have to build it.

DED is the last tool I would suggest, it requires way too much knowledge.

> nice, friendly binary editor. HUH, I know none that fit that description
> and my memory goes back to ~ 1970!?

We have the source for ALL parts of the C Compiler, we can fix old bad
choices!

> Willard

SHF