[Coco] [OT] Remember text based Lunar Lander?

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 18:29:04 EDT 2010

----- "John Guin" <johnguin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Specifically, the version from David Ahl's 101 BASIC Computer Games?
>
> I remember it as being lots of fun and relatively small.
>
> Then I decided to try to port it to a modern language - ugh.  I really
> think
> it will be easier to break open a physics book and re-create the
> application
> than try to work through that spaghetti code.
>

> I put the OT tag on this email since this really has nothing to do
> with the
> Coco and everything to do with 1970s BASIC.  Ah, GOTO.

I remember it quite well.  I translated the whole book for the Model One long before the TRS-80 edition was available at Radio Shack.  (No, my translations were not involved).  I'd previously translated a number of programs for the HP2000A at the community college I attended after my escape from the USAF -- a lot of work, as the book was in DEC BASIC and string operations in old HP BASIC were very, very different.

Translation of a lot of the games for Extended Color BASIC was next to impossible, since an 80-column display was pretty much assumed.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd at comcast.net