[Coco] CoCo Gallery

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Tue Jun 8 20:47:57 EDT 2010

The CoCo Gallery has yet again been removed from coco3.com due to
abuse by some unknown spambot or source linked to the zettapetta
attack thing.  Whoever the bastard is somehow knew to tap into the
part of the system that casts a shadow around pictures.  Because my
gallery config uses the shadow on all pictures, this rat went to work
quick and got his way.  The gallery is gone.

Through every gallery attack in the past, I've saved the photos
uploaded by users when accounts were offered, so one day soon I hope
to get a safer gallery system in place and repost all these
pictures.  The thing is: gallery2 is probably the best there
is.  I've seen a lot of gallery knockoffs and nothing comes close.  I
think it's open source, but not 100% sure.  If it is, lord help us
all.  Everything open source is wide open to hackers.

I've got a lot of clean backups of the site, and just upgraded the
WordPress system yet again, and even made it through 3 crappy calls
to the pretend tech support at bluehost with different kids each time
unable to speak in complete sentences.

I basically picked up on their tone of voice and started playing into
the situation.  The third kid was trying to get me off the phone and
I said... ok, fella, now what... you want me to hang up, and if the
site's not back up, then what?  He said... uh.... you'll need to talk
to tech support.  I said, I thought I WAS talking to tech
support!  He said, No, this is the account abuse department.  I said,
Un-Freaking-Believable.   This is the third guy who's asked me Can I
Help you during the same phone call and I've repeated my password 3
times.  Can somebody there help me? Then I reminded him that I've
been with bluehost for many years and the tech support keeps getting
crappier, and he went silent and transferred me to tech
support.  Heheh.  After 10 minutes of being on music hold, I realized
there would be no tech response today, so I dove in and fixed the site myself.

Please don't offer me web hosting to get away from bluehost... it's
not a bad system but the guys you get ahold of sometimes seem to be
underpaid.  99% of everything else is just what I need, and they just
improved on a lot of their services that were already top grade.

--
~ Roger Taylor