[Coco] VCC1.41 (actually a thread on Mint Linux)

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Tue Jun 8 13:43:34 EDT 2010

I did clean installs on both my wife's machine (an older Athlon 64
single core... 1200 MHz actual I believe) and my media machine (2.4 GHz
AMD quad core). No problems, even with regular updates. I just update
everything. The quad core runs 64 bit, but I noted that there are a few
things that won't run on 64 bit and there is very little (if any) speed
difference between 64 and 32 bit. When I build myself a new machine and
boot MS altogether I'll build a quad core with 32 bit. The problems you
(and a few others) have had with Mint might be that you're running more
than one version of Linux or dual booting with Windows. I believe that's
where Grub comes in, right? I'm running Virtual Box on the dual core
machine but really haven't done anything with it. When I build myself a
new quad core I'll build my wife a "new" machine used my current dual
core socket 939 motherboard. She should be able to run VB on it okay and
run the couple programs she likes that won't work under Wine. She has a
"Cricket" scrapbook cutter and there is a program that will let you use
it similar to a standard vinyl cutter. Windows only, but won't work
under Wine. Not sure how it will work with VB through the USB port, but
I'll eventually find out! I have a few things for my car I'd like to cut
in vinyl... ------------------- Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 11:30:20 -0400
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at gmail.com> Subject: Re: [Coco] VCC1.41
To: coco at maltedmedia.com Message-ID:
<201006071130.20986.gene.heskett at gmail.com> Content-Type: Text/Plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"

> >Hadn't run across the Mint distro yet.  I'll go look it it up.  My grub
> >  list might get uglier.

Mine already is, but sadly the mint 8 I installed a while back apparently
self destructed at one of the updates, and will not boot now.  As I keep
that stuff on its own drive, I should grab a Mint 9 and over-write it.  I am
currently running MDV 2010 64 bit, but IMNSHO, 64 bit isn't quite ready for
prime time. 32 bit fedora 13 will shortly be installed in the first drive
again.

Not running as root now, I find I'll need to piddle with the perms on
/dev/ttyS0 or 1 before I can talk to my coco3.  And the help available for
such from mandriva leaves much to be desired.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"