[Coco] bru was Re: LHA question

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Dec 29 13:02:20 EST 2010

On Wednesday, December 29, 2010 11:57:11 am Willard Goosey did opine:

> Hey Gene?
>
> You mentioned bru a couple of days ago, and that got me thinking about
> expanding my 2002 hard-drive backup onto a drivewire disk.  So I
> looked into it...
>
> Would it be hard to modify bru to restore to a different device than
> the one that was backed up?  I backed up /dd and would like to restore
> it to /x3...
>
> Willard

Willard: As it turns out once I got a connection to the coco going, that is
/dd/sys/bru.dev, and you can change the first device to /x3 I believe. Mine
has 3 more lines of /w4 for some reason.  According to bru1.2_adds, that
should be only a single line, and is over-ridable with the -f /path option.
Likely not terribly well tested since my biggest floppy at the time was a
96 tpi tandon 100-4 that I could push to 84 tracks & get 765k out of that
way.

Just for grins as it will take till about a week after the rapture, but I
am going to try something crazy here.  I have a script running here, that
send anything it receives to a laser printer, so I am going to start bru1.2
with the -f /p option and see how fast the file builds up here, at 9600
baud.  After I turn the printer off of course.

Nope, sorry, illegal mode, 203 error.  I assume that path must be and rbf
type device.  So /x3 should work, if /x3 is big enough to hold the backup,
you should be able to use the device directly, as opposed to copying the
backup to it.

So, as I have /s1 looking at a 40 meg quantum, which will not hold a
backup, but attempting to use /s1 gets me an error 214, no perms response.

{t2|07}/DD/MAXTOR/AR.STF/BRU_1.2:bru -f /s1 -c /dd
a path for input from /w4 was opened returning a value of 3
BRU: Warning, hard links to '/dd' detected; file links will NOT be created
on restoration!
BRU: Insert next disk and press ENTER:
BRU: '/s1' - ERROR #214

Which is odd considering:
{t2|07}/DD/MAXTOR/AR.STF/BRU_1.2:attr /s1
d-ewrewr

So I am a wee bit puzzled and wondering if bru is checking for a floppy
description in the descriptor.  I have to admit I am not having any luck
making it run at all here.  It also appears that what I am trying to run is
bru_1.3, so I better find some more better docs. ;-)  In 18 years, memories
fade, and its been that long since I did anything with it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)