[Coco] OS9-L2 vs NitrOS9

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Sep 20 23:41:05 EDT 2008

On Saturday 20 September 2008, Tim Fadden wrote:
>To Bob and all,
>
>I beg your pardon for speaking from emotion, and perception. (always a
>risky start!)  Its been a long time since I originally got my os9 hard
>drive system up and running, and when I look at the over 400 commands I
>have there compared to the 84 on the Nitros9, at first glance it looks
>stripped. Also as an example, the dir command is stripped to 2 options
>from the 7 options, and wild card usage with the dir I have. Perhaps the
>dir I have is not stock. But those are some of my first impressions.
>Again to be fair thats like comparing a 30 year old tackle box to a
>brand new one!  sorry!
>
>I have been  working on getting Nitros9 on a real floppy in order to
>start working with it.  But up until recently the only way has been to
>build a new/old PC.  I don't want another PC.  Fortunately thanks to You
>Bob.  I have found a way!  os9dsk!  I zmodem'd the .dsk images to my
>coco, and at first glance appeared to be going to work, but I believe
>os9dsk only works with single sided 160k images. Is this so? When I get
>time, I will try to learn the source and figure it out.  It does a dir
>fine on the double sided images, but after about 1/2 why through using
>-proc to pull the files off, garbage goes to the text screen, some times
>a lock up, :-) and thats all I get.   So for now I am using vcc to put
>the Nitros9 files on  40tss images and will transfer them over, and see
>what I can get.
>
>Perhaps I will write my memoirs of the process. :-)
>
>Tim Fadden

How handy are you with basic09?

If you format a 3.5" disk to 720k (use a DD diskette), then it should be easy
for basic09 to open one of those .dsk images, find out how big it is, divide
that by 256 to get the number of sectors it is, then open the disk drive
using the /dx@ syntax so its a raw write, read 256 bytes from the .dsk, write
it to the floppy, and loop/repeat until all the .dsk has been read, and all
of it has been written to the floppy disk.

If you did it right, it should boot.

The .dsk is an image of the floppy.  Nothing special.