[Coco] OS9-L2 vs NitrOS9

Tim Fadden t.fadden at cox.net
Sat Sep 20 13:35:29 EDT 2008

To Bob and all,

I beg your pardon for speaking from emotion, and perception. (always a
risky start!)  Its been a long time since I originally got my os9 hard
drive system up and running, and when I look at the over 400 commands I
have there compared to the 84 on the Nitros9, at first glance it looks
stripped. Also as an example, the dir command is stripped to 2 options
from the 7 options, and wild card usage with the dir I have. Perhaps the
dir I have is not stock. But those are some of my first impressions.
Again to be fair thats like comparing a 30 year old tackle box to a
brand new one!  sorry!

I have been  working on getting Nitros9 on a real floppy in order to
start working with it.  But up until recently the only way has been to
build a new/old PC.  I don't want another PC.  Fortunately thanks to You
Bob.  I have found a way!  os9dsk!  I zmodem'd the .dsk images to my
coco, and at first glance appeared to be going to work, but I believe
os9dsk only works with single sided 160k images. Is this so? When I get
time, I will try to learn the source and figure it out.  It does a dir
fine on the double sided images, but after about 1/2 why through using
-proc to pull the files off, garbage goes to the text screen, some times
a lock up, :-) and thats all I get.   So for now I am using vcc to put
the Nitros9 files on  40tss images and will transfer them over, and see
what I can get.

Perhaps I will write my memoirs of the process. :-)

Tim Fadden