[Coco] OS9-L2 vs NitrOS9

Boisy Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Sat Sep 20 07:00:20 EDT 2008

Tim,

NitrOS-9 runs virtually all of the software that was available for
OS-9 Level Two and OS-9 Level One.  There are exceptions that arise
due to the renaming of certain modules and the changing of syntax
(i.e. tmode).

What NitrOS-9 gives the CoCo community is a (mostly) bug-free version
of OS-9 with all of the patches and enhancements that accumulated over
the years for OS-9 Level One and OS-9 Level Two.   All of this is
packaged in a nice distribution which you can download and install
easily.

I have to take issue with your statements that NitrOS-9 is "stripped
down" and that the team has "tweaked themselves into a corner."
Please give specific examples to support these statements.  NitrOS-9
is more robust than OS-9 from Tandy, and includes more features and
commands.  How can this be considered stripped down?  As for tweaking
ourselves into a corner, I'm not even sure what you mean by that.

For some reason, NitrOS-9 has tended to be misunderstood.  It's not a
different operating system from OS-9.  It is OS-9 with some modules
renamed, more commands, speed enhancements and supports machines like
the CoCo 1, CoCo 2, CoCo 3, Dragon 64, Dragon Alpha and Tano Dragon
across the board with one unified distribution.

NitrOS-9 is the holy grail of OS-9/6809 distribution and unification.

I think it's the name that throws some people off.  We couldn't just
call it OS-9 V3.0 or OS-9 V4.0.  It had to be named something different.

George, to answer your two questions:

1. Yes, NitrOS-9/6809 Level Two drivers can cross over to OS-9 Level
Two.
2. Depends on who "we" is.  I see NitrOS-9 as OS-9 Level Two with
patches and enhancements.  They are virtually the same in every other
respect.

Regards,
Boisy G. Pitre
--