[Coco] SyQuest Procedures

richec rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Sun Mar 30 21:28:37 EDT 2008

Hi Mark:

Thank you getting beack to me. You told me how to dismount a SyQuest cartridge
before, but I can not recall the details. If you will tell me now, I'll have
it in writing (your reply) and will keep it in a safer place other than my
1947 model brain 8-).

> Please provide more information on your system.
>
> What NitrOS-9 driver are you using? TC^3 or SuperDriver? What version
> of NitrOS-9?

Looking inside the MODULES/TC3 folders, it would appear that I am using the
TC3 driver. There is a RBF folder within it that has another TC3 folder which
contains a DESCRIPTOR folder full of... you guessed it, what seem to be
descriptors. Also at the MODULES/TC3 level there are two other folders, CLOCK
and Y2K. BTW, inside the DESCRIPTOR folder, I see two references to /h0
devices, but nothing for /h1. One of the /h0 descriptors could be for a
SyQuest device because it as a 120mb parameter in it. Its exact text
reads "h0_540_part1_120mb_ff74.dd".

This system has not been changed since I bought the hard-drive and controller
from you at a Fest. As I said, I could not free up much time to do anything
with it until recently.

There is a SUPERDRV folder in the root /h0 directory, but it is empty.

/h0 is my hard drive

/h1 also points to the hard drive at the moment (at least it seems to).

You are correct, there is a HDB-DOS partition which I do not want to trash.

I do own a SUPERDRIVER 2.0 system disk, but I am recluctant to try installing
anything until I am positive I can recover if I do something bad. I tried
booting from the backup I made of it, but it fails. The Original fails too
(both with the same messages). I think that is because they are DSDD disks
while the boot is looking for SSDD, just a guess on my part. I can read both
disks just fine from the NitrOS9v2.00 system installed on my hard drive. I
have to dmode the /d0 to sid=2 first though.

> What device is /h0? /h1=SyQuest?

That would be my goal.

> I'm guessing that you are using the TC^3 driver by your references.
> That driver has been retired for many years and has been replaced
> with SuperDriver.

That rigs a bell