[Coco] Programs for NitrOS-9

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Wed Apr 30 00:23:03 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:48:26AM -0700, Dean Leiber wrote:
> The only problem I could envision with OS-9 programs not running
> properly on NitrOS-9 has to do with calling OS-9 commands via fork,
> etc. For example if the program called 'Dir e', while NitrOS-9 uses
> 'Dir -e', some problems could arise.

Well, yes, that has been a small problem, mostly programs calling
tmode ("tmode echo", "tmode -echo"...)

But that's pretty easy to patch using DED, and making a copy of tmode
called "tmod".  "tmod eko=1" has the same number of characters as
"tmode echo". You can usually shorten embedded strings by copying over
them with the end-of-string marker, but you can't easily increase
their length unless you have the source.

Or, as I was informed by Robert Gault when I first noticed this, the
source for tmode is available and I was free to download it and add
the old style options back in. ;-)

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
I search my heart and find Cimmeria, land of Darkness and the Night
  -- R.E. Howard