[Coco] Question about the PIA RAM Size input

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Mon Apr 30 12:08:40 EDT 2007

coco at yourdvd.net wrote:
> actually, depending on the coco (1 or 2) you have and the installed
> memory, depends on how it is jumpered, whether it be to gnd, vcc, pb6
> of the keyboard pia, etc. I wouldn't do it - say it is jumpered to gnd,
> and you output a logic 1 to it - or vice versa - probably wouldn't be
> good. Look over some schematics of various coco models - the jumpering
> scheme is different on the three coco 1 and 2 model schematics I just
> glanced at...r

I'm going to negate you here a bit, but your logic is sound- I guess
just to clarify things for Darren.

The PIA is a pretty robust device, it would survive having one of its
outputs shorted to gnd/+5 pretty much indefinitely, at least according
to the data sheet. However that's really not the issue- What do you
intend to attach the output to is the better question. If whatever it is
pulls the PIA line high or low when the PIA is in input mode - and that
state matches the expected state - then you're golden. Obviously the
what you're attaching it to.

So, to clarify, if the expected state of the ram size input is 1, and
when you disconnect the jumper and attach the device, read the PIA bit
and if it's a 1, no issue. (yes, a gross simplification)

Now, if you patch the BASIC ROM to ignore the state of that PIA bit and
correctly set the SAM registers for the memory size you have installed,
what you do with that particular PIA bit is a don't-care scenario.

-Mike