[Coco] nitros 3.2.6 windint+vdg problem?

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Tue Oct 24 04:29:48 EDT 2006

Willard Goosey wrote:
>>Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 05:32:34 -0400
>>From: Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net>
>

> Sorry it took so long to get back to this, but I've been busy with
> other stuff.   Since I knew this would take several hours of hacking,
> I waited for a day off.
>
>>I don't think you have a hardware problem but you have tried
>>too many different things for me to follow your trail. :)
>

> Just trying to be thorough. :-)
>
>>Let's start from common ground. What happens when you boot
>
>>from the 40 track disk #1 distribution as downloaded? This
>
>>should be an 80 column window with the ability to convert
>>windows into vdg screens.
>

> That works.  I was able to call up a vdg screen after xmode'ing and
> everything.  Then I started playing.
>
> Now, every time I built a new boot disk, I start from scratch.  I edit
> standard.bl and use the mb script (which formats the disk).  On
> non-hard drive boots, then I dsave the original disk's contents onto
> the new boot disk.
>
> (this is the abbreviated list of steps.  I've left out successful
> intermediate steps.)
>
> I re-created the dist. disk.  Works fine.
> distribution disk + IDE drivers.  Works fine.
> dist + IDE  + w8+w9.  works fine.
> dist + IDE + w8+w9+w10.  fails to boot.  This may be a os9boot size
> problem or something like that.  I use w8-w15 from original Multivue.
> Anyway, this isn't the main problem.
>
> dist + term_vdg only works with vdg windows.
>
> Try duplicating this, please.  Make a boot disk identical to the
> distribution, except use term_vdg instead of term_win80.  Try to start
> a cowin window.  Using "iniz" or starting a shell on /wX causes my
> system to hang.  Writing anything to the window causes a horrible
> crash.
>
> Willard

OK, here is what I tried using MESS v.109. I booted with the T80 6309L2
v3.2.6 distribution disk. I modified the standard.bl and mb scripts so
that an 80 track double sided boot disk using rel_32 and term_vdg was
targeted. Before running the new scripts, I used dmode so that /d1 had
cyl=50. After creating the new disk, I ran  dsave -s45 /d1 !shell -p.
After this operation, I edited the startup file so that a window was
created before the standard fonts were merged into the system.

iniz /w1
merge sys/stdfonts >/w1
shell i=/w1&

The new disk booted with a 32 column boot screen into a 32 column term
and created /w1 with an immortal shell. I was even able to use my own
scripts to automatically create additional windows with shells. Further,
my script to automatically convert windows to vdg screens ran and
started a new vdg screen with a shell.

Sorry, but I can't duplicate your problem which is, after all, a good thing.