[Coco] Running 5.25" drives with Win 2000

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Tue Nov 21 13:54:13 EST 2006

Bruce W. Calkins wrote:
> Well, I can see the main board having issues. From faulty design to simple
> static discharge.  Finding the acual problem might be a challenge.  It is
> sounding outsice of my skill set for sure.  I have one machine that I have
> loaded Windows 98 close to a dozen times.  The install goes south in
> minutes, often before the drivers can be loaded, and / or before updates
> installed.  I gave up when it took to LINUX line a duck to water.
>
> Bruce W.

There are any number of issues that would cause floppy drive issues you
describe. NTFS is a filesystem structure, it has nothing to do with the
physical block device.

The floppy controller may expect a transition of the disk change line to
happen (or not happen). PC drives have a way of indicating whether the
user opened/ejected the drive and changed it (it was one of the things
that made DOS floppy access so much faster, since it didn't need to
verify that the disk it was using every time.) Older drives may not have
this feature, or it may not be working, thus the PC thinks the disk
isn't inserted or is constantly changing.

Termination is another issue. 3.5 and 5.25 drives have drastically
different electrical characteristics on their respective busses. Ideally
the 5.25 drive should be the last on the cable and it should be
terminated. It is technically possible, although unlikely, that the
floppy controller's termination or drive characteristics are broken or
not up to the task of driving the much heavier electrical load of the
5.25's terminator.

Of course there may be software issues with the BIOS or Windows as well,
or something is just broken.

I've used 5.25 drives on Windows machines of around that vintage, and
they worked. (1.2M)

-Mike