[Coco] Nitros9 Boot Disk "issues"

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon May 22 07:49:28 EDT 2006

Roger Merchberger wrote:
> Well, the "issues" I have is that I are stoopid...
>
> I snagged the latest version of Nitros9, and I want to make "real" boot
> disks for my CoCo3 setup to eventually transfer to Compact Flash on the
> SuperIDE interface... but I have a few limitations, and this is giving
> me fits.
>
> My PC system won't format a readable DS floppy with OmniFlop, but I can
> write disks if they're formatted first on the CoCo; but as I don't have
> a working Nitros9 boot floppy yet, I can't format a DS disk on the CoCo.
> So, I'm limited to DECB for formatting which limits me to single-sided
> disks.
>
> Yes, I *do* have Drivewire, yes I can boot nitros9 3.2.4 on it, no I
> *can't* format real floppies on the system... When XP doesn't bluescreen
> due to buggy Belkin USB->RS232 drivers (which I believe I've got the
> right drivers now, but I've not tested it yet) the CoCo locks *hard* no
> later than halfway through the format. :-( I've tried it *at least* 50
> times with the same result (yea, I'm a glutton for punishment) so
> there's got to be some weird little timing issue or something with
> nitros9 3.2.4 and/or drivewire and/or my hardware and/or the alignment
> of the planets...
>
> I've taken the stock standard.bl file and made DS boot disks no problem,
> but SS is just no worky.
>
> I've tried creating new SS device drivers - is it safe to assume that
> dmode'ing the /dd and /d0 drivers, save'ing them to a different disk,
> copying them into the ../MODULES/RBF directory and calling them from the
> standard.bl bootlist is all that's necessary to get a working device
> driver, or am I missing something? (At first, I thought I was missing
> something, until I tried making a boot disk with the supplied 35tk SS
> drivers, and that won't boot, either.)
>
> It shows:
>
> KREL Boot Krn tb0.......
>
> (Yes, that's 7 dots after tb0) and locks.
>
> Now, *waaaaayy* back in the day, I could diagnose a failed OS-9 boot
> just by the sound of the floppy drive, but I've been testing builds in
> the emulator - faster turnaround. MESS .103, CoCo3 6809 ROM.
>
> Any hints/tips/quibbles/quarrels/brickbats available out there?
>
> Good thing:
>
> My knowledge of OS-9 has improved immensely over the last few hours!
>
> Bad thing:
>
> My knowledge of 'edit' has improved immensely over the last few hours!
>
> Is there a small freeware full-screen editor for Nitros9 out there
> anywhere??? I'm spoiled by Jove on the Linux platform... rather like
> nano/pico but with a more emacs-like key-command set, so moving to/from
> emacs is effortless... However, I'd be more than happy to learn a new
> keyset... I'm OK with vi as well, but AFAIK TS-Edit was never ported to
> the 80-column screen, was it?

The patchkit that turns TS-Edit into vi, seems to run on an 80 column
screen just fine Roger.  As to locating a copy of the patch, I *think*
Eddie Kuhns did that, and I may even have a copy of it on my machine at
home, but thats almost 1000 mi SE of my present 10-20.  And I'll be here
  for at least another month or more.

--
Cheers, Gene