[Coco] Re: NitrOS-9 Level 3!?

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Thu May 18 03:03:46 EDT 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 11:23:59PM +0000, Leon Howell wrote:
> Frank Pittel <fwp at ...> writes:
>

> > Leon,
> >
> > I miss typed.
>
> And I got all exited over nothing. Oh well, It will be here someday. I still
> havn't caught up with Nitros anyway, so I guess it's a good thing.

Sorry. I do have to say that the 6309 version is a lot faster then the 6809 version!
Well worth the price of the CPU!! I wish I would have gotten more 6309s at the fest
when I had the chance!

> > There are however a number of changes
> > and you do need to be careful about changes.
>
> Like when I tried to set up a Multi-Vue disk, following the instructions in the
> manual to the letter? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

I've never tried multi-vue but it doesn't sound like your experience was very good.

> > I would like to suggest that the nitros9 developers include a "changes" file
> >when releasing changes.
>
> I think there is a "Change Log" in the zip file, but there are *no* specific
> details, so it doesn't do much good. also, it should be on the disk. There is
> some additional info on changes in the /defs directory, but again, nothing
> specific.
>
> Computer manuals are as notorious as acts of congress for lack of clarity. When
> upgrades as big as these are distributed with absolutely *no* documentation,
> espesialy with as os as complicated as OS-9, you have an exelent excuse to go
> bananas.
>
> So, programmers, how about a little help here? Please remember that not only do
> some of us out here find C unreadable, but all those pathnames and scripts too.
> While you're at it, see if you can add some nice easy new features to GShell,
> please? Here's a hint: borrow a Commodore 64/128 and play with Geos for a
> while. Or an Apple IIe with MouseDesk. Multi-Vue is great, as far as it goes,
> but it could go a lot farther in simplifying NitrOS-9.

A better shell would be nice. :-) After the last 24hrs I'd settle for a changes file
linked to the nitros home page. I would even be willing to help with writing some of
the documentation. What's needed is something between the very basic "this is what a
directory is and "when writing an assembly program for nitros you need to start the
program with ldx $fgfg." I know what a directory is and I know what a floppy disk is.
What I need to know is what the mirade<SP?> of modules do and when would I want to include
them in my kernel, How do I build a kernel, what is the sysgo file? All the fun things
I spen the last 24hrs learning about but not yet groking.

Frank