[Coco] Serial to USB adaptor compatible with CoCo?

Chris Hawks chawks at dls.net
Sat Dec 10 19:24:30 EST 2005

---Reply to mail from Roger Merchberger about [Coco] Serial to USB adaptor compatible with CoCo?

> If he's thinking "Nuthin' but 'Net" (i.e. Internet access or somesuch)
> about the only (simple...ish) way that I could think of would be to run the
> serial port into a Linux box and have the Linux box do all the TCP/IP
> management just feeding the raw data back to the CoCo.
[...]
> Either way, one would still have to write any/all software on the CoCo to
> do what you want, and quite possibly some custom Linux/Winders code to play
> gateway / traffic cop for the CoCo. The thought of connecting with a CoCo
> straight to RTSI and download a program sounds neat, and the project could
> be fun to work on (I just happen to have a PCMCIA (for wireless access, but
> I wonder if it could handle memory) / ethernet / RS232 gateway gizmo to
> play with) but IMHO, it would be a lot of work for not a lot of reward...
> but that's why it's a hobby, right? ;-)

    A loooong time ago, I ported KA9Q to both OS9 6809 and OS9 68000. It's
a group of programs that provide TCP/IP thru a serial port via PPP. I used
it to have telnet and ftp capabilities on both my Coco and MM1. I connected
via PPP from my Coco to my Linux box and it connected via PPP to my ISP.
Didn't have a Coco browser, but, kinda neat to FTP from RTSI to my CocoIII!

    I have disks of both. I offer them for free (it's GPL) at my booth at
the CocoFests.

---End reply

Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft