[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Building an embedded OS9 system from CoCo OS9

Bruce Calkins bcalkins at disaster-relief.net
Tue Jun 22 15:17:39 EDT 2004

Mike,

> Has anyone here built an embedded system based on a 6809?
Not I.  I have simply used a CoCo for what little I've done.

> It would be nice to run OS9 on these things,
The CoCo ROM can be replaced with a OS-9 boot ROM.  Cloud-9 sells the
software kits.  You will have to acquire the hardware and do the
interfacing.  So far the CoCo 1, early American CoCo 2 and first Korean CoCo
2 with 2 8k ROMs are not "really" supported.  (The CoCo 2"A" and "B" models
use a 27128 compatible ROM.)

> I have OS9 and tons of CoCos... Would it make sense to build some sort
> of OS9 boot rom and perhaps run a system based on a RAM disk?
That makes sense to me.

> Maybe there's someone in the group who can point me to the right
> resource(s)
Cost and time wise? I'm inclined to suggest the Micro-Stamp/PIC line of
equipment as a cheaper and better supported line.

Bruce W.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/CFFolB/TM