[Coco] Re: Re: Hard Drive Problems

Frederick D Provoncha elderpav at juno.com
Wed Jun 16 20:52:33 EDT 2004

Rodney,

> The boot track in the image file is at logical track 68 as seen by
> the DOS command so a simple "DOS" fails to see it.  However, you
> can
> get around this by telling DISK BASIC to boot from track 68
> instead!
> Try to boot it this way:
>
>   POKE &HDF1C,68:DOS
>
> This should at least start the boot sequence.  I seem to recall
> that
> MESS handles a DSDD image if it has a '.OS9' extension name??
> (I don't use MESS myself so please correct me as needed.  Maybe
> just
> renaming the extension is sufficient??)

Okay, I tried that, and I'm getting I/O Errors. Hmmm.

I just had a thought. What if I try writing a Basic09 program that mimics
DSKINI? If I'm having trouble making a workable boot disk using DSKINI,
why don't I try sidestepping DSKINI by writing a Basic09 program that
does the same thing?

Using my PC I could save the .dsk image to a 720k 3 1/2" PC disk, and
then copy the file over to my Coco's hard drive using the PCDOS utility
on my Coco. From there Basic09 could access the file, and copy it
block-by-block over to a newly-formatted 5 1/4" disk. What do you all
think? Could this work?

Fred Provoncha