[Coco] Coco 3 and the Internet

Ken Carlin carlin at nauticom.net
Thu Jun 10 20:05:37 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: <alsplace at pobox.com>
To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Coco 3 and the Internet

> WebTV (and certain browsers for PalmOS PDAs) use a proxy server that
> snags the real page, massages the data down to TV or PDA format, then
> sends that to the browser.  The result is that WebTV could often render
> a page faster than a PC on the same kind of dialup -- the PC had
> download the full 500K graphic, while WebTV converted it down to a 32K
> TV res image and sends that to the box.
>
> Scott Griepentrog volunteered to work on a proxy server for the CoCo
> via his server, so if we want to do REAL web browsing, this is the way
> to go.
>
> Lynx/text-only browsing is another option.  PDA phones are in the same
> boat as we -- most, like the default browser with my $$$ PalmOS Kyocera
> phone, are text only browsers with a screen far more limited than the
> CoCo.  We should use them for inspiration.
>
> And, if all goes well, I'll have an interest test in a few weeks to
> share.

I had suggested in the past that perhaps a few of us could create a
specially formatted web page that a CoCo web browser could view without
going through display gymnastics.  Granted, the web page would have to be
simplistic, but I think it could be a useful thing for supporting the old
machine.

--Ken Carlin