[Coco] Coco 3 and the Internet

alsplace at pobox.com alsplace at pobox.com
Mon Jun 7 12:07:00 EDT 2004

WebTV (and certain browsers for PalmOS PDAs) use a proxy server that
snags the real page, massages the data down to TV or PDA format, then
sends that to the browser.  The result is that WebTV could often render
a page faster than a PC on the same kind of dialup -- the PC had
download the full 500K graphic, while WebTV converted it down to a 32K
TV res image and sends that to the box.

Scott Griepentrog volunteered to work on a proxy server for the CoCo
via his server, so if we want to do REAL web browsing, this is the way
to go.

Lynx/text-only browsing is another option.  PDA phones are in the same
boat as we -- most, like the default browser with my $$$ PalmOS Kyocera
phone, are text only browsers with a screen far more limited than the
CoCo.  We should use them for inspiration.

And, if all goes well, I'll have an interest test in a few weeks to
share.