[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Complete Commodore 64 home computer on a single chip

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Dec 22 13:46:29 EST 2004

If one could find the captial to do a redesign of the 6809, you open a world of
possibilities.

TSMC 0.18 micron process would yield a MPU about 1/4 the area of the current
chip. It would be in CMOS and not NMOS. the MPU core could run at 1.8 VDC and
the I/O at 3.3 or 2.5 VDC. Finally the new 6809 would run at an Q and E clock
speed of about 100 to 150 MHZ or more. Equivalent to a 400 to 600MHz single
phase clock MPU .

That alone would open a great deal of opportunities for a Coco 4.

Initial development costs: About $150,000.

james