[Coco] [Color Computer] Complete Commodore 64 home computer on a single chip

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Wed Dec 22 10:48:48 EST 2004

On Dec 22, 2004, at 1:23 AM, Neil Morrison wrote:

> FYI
>
> "Jeri Ellsworth has squeezed the entire circuitry of a two-decade-old
> Commodore 64 home computer onto a single chip, which she has tucked
> neatly
> into a joystick that connects by a cable to a TV set. Called the
> Commodore
> 64--the same as the computer system--her device can run 30 video games,
> mostly sports, racing and puzzles games from the early 1980s, all
> without
> the hassle of changing game cartridges.

This is certainly becoming a trend, isn't it.  I've noticed lately that
there is a groundswell of interest in retro-computing and the
mainstream press is starting to pick up on this phenomenon.  It's no
surprise that the Commodore 64 is the main beneficiary of this
attention, since it has the most name recognition and appears to be the
main computer that everyone thinks of when focusing on the 80s home
computer age.  I suspect that in the not too distant future, other
classic home computers like ours will be garnering some national media
attention as well.

Actually, her idea of putting a Commodore 64 inside of a joystick isn't
too far-fetched for a CoCo.  Though I wonder what sales would be like
of such a device, and if Radio Shack would consider doing something
like that.

Boisy