[Coco] gcc-coco revisited

David dbree at duo-county.com
Thu Nov 13 21:40:00 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 02:46:25PM -0600, Roger Taylor wrote:
> I don't understand why M.E.S.S. needs to keep up with all machines
> emulated, when only one emulation window can be active at a time.

Well, I haven't looked at the code, but I'd assume that much of the
work, I/O, especially, is probably run through some common interface,
which would be designed to work for any system.  Then the particulars
for whatever system was being emulated would be processed through that,
which would take quite a toll in speed.  That's my guess, anyway.

> Now,
> it would be great to be able to bring up 2 CoCo's at once in their own
> window and play around with OS-9 sending files back and forth through some
> sort of virtual communication device, such as /t2 and a modem.  This would
> allow development of terminal-type programs, etc.  Anyway... just a silly
> idea.

That would be a good thing.  It would be great especially for debugging
networking and other comm interfaces.