[Coco] gcc-coco revisited

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Nov 19 23:12:25 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 02:46:25PM -0600, Roger Taylor wrote:

>I don't understand why M.E.S.S. needs to keep up with all machines
>emulated, when only one emulation window can be active at a time.

Now that I found out how to get MESS to run in a window...

On my Windows 2000 test machine, I am running 2 MESS emulated machines
at once, and I would expect that it would work just fine under LINUX.

On a typical "sample" Microsoft Windows program in the programming
books, the first thing it does is check to see if it is already running,
and if so to shut down the second copy.  It does not need to do this.
There are a lot of options available to the programmer.  The second copy
can run independently, or it can signal the first copy to start a new
window.

X-11 based programs, usually this type of communication is not done.

The MESS.EXE under Microsoft Windows appears to be able run any number
of copies at once when it is launched from the command line.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only