[Coco] RE: CoCo GUI question

Bob Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 28 00:42:00 EST 2003

> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 12:56:55 -0500 (EST)
> From: LM
>
> Nickolas Marentes:
> >I have a few questions to ask.
> >1) Has anyone developed a new (and better!) gui for OS-9?
>
> Let me ask one in return.  I haven't really done any development
> on a CoCo except for Basic.  What language would you use to
> develop a GUI in, assembly, C, C++, something else?

Well I've been writing one in BASIC! It's what I starteed doing when I
dusted my CoCo off a couple of years ago, and it's still under
development.
http://www.geocities.com/theother_bob
Running at high speed, it seems to run pretty smoothly... smoother than
most OS-9 GUIs I've experienced. It's been a fun project for me and
hopefully will be a useful tool for anyone managing files on a CoCo+HDD
setup with up to 255 virtual floppy drives plus real floppy drives. I
personally plan to continue development and integrate more ML into it
for size and speed improvements. I just have to teach myself ML... slow
process. I'm pretty dense.

It's pretty modular for a BASIC program, remembers what drive it's
opened from and what joystick the user selects. Could be a good place
for you to get warmed back up to programming on the CoCo. The GUI
groundwork is laid, you could do anything with it you want.

Come to think of it, I had concieved a while back of a developers
version of the GUI... just a stripped down bare-bones BASIC routine
which would already be "aware of" the users monitor type, input device
(left, right, eventually hi-res) desired color scheme, drive
setup,etc...
Anyone interested? ...(crickets)...  anyone? ...(more crickets)...

Oh, and Welcome to the list Laura and ALL the other new(ish) and
familiar faces popping up. I've been offline for a while and unable to
post much. Still pretty hectic life lately.

Peace,
Bob

"The CoCo is dead! Long live the CoCo!!"

=====
theother_bob at yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/theother_bob

"As a pessimist I'm either always right