[Coco] Re: Emulators -- MESS/Vavasour/Stroffolino?

Richard E. Crislip rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Tue Dec 23 23:13:14 EST 2003

Hello KnudsenMJ at aol.com

On 12/24/03, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 12/23/03 4:08:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> farna at att.net writes:
>
>> I'm familiar with Jeff Vavasour's emulator, think I still have a copy
>>  here. Other than support for other systems as well, does the MESS
>>  emulator do anything different/better?
>
> I think the main advantage of MESS is that it runs under newer versions of
> Windows, and also under Linux, whereas Jeff's requires a real DOS boot,
> otherwise it "blue screens" under Windows 98 or later. I probably have the
> details wrong, but I think those are the major differences. Of course each
> emulator does some things better than others.

That's not entirely true. I run Jeff's emulator all the time on my 1.5gig
Amthlon W2K machine. I set the ICON properties to use full screen and it
run OK. The only gripe I have with it is that it will only recognize 512k
RAM even though I have 512mg in the machine, where as if I run it on my
wifes old slow 333hz WinME machine, it starts with 1mg RAM.

> Jeff's is faster, from what I hear. Linux MESS is said to be really slow
> on the kind of PCs Linux usually runs on. --Mike K.

Regards
--
Cruisen                                                      _|_
              on AutoPilot with an Amiga   ---o-( )-o---   and a CoCo

                                             Richard