[arg_discuss] Looking for Resources on Engaging Casual Players in ARGs

Wendy Despain wendeth at wendydespain.com
Fri Jun 7 03:54:27 EDT 2013

I just realized in my rambling I forgot to explain my exception!

I said: "But what I realized is that videogames -do- have exactly the
same
problem (with one exception, I'll get to in a minute) and they have
solved it [with tutorials]."

The difference/inherent advantage that videogames have vs. ARGs
(leaving aside the approach of teaching players how they are expected
to participate and giving them "permission" which I went on about in
my other email) - is that videogames have devices called *controllers*
and the audience has this physical device connecting them to the game
experience and it has buttons heuristically designed to make you want
to push them.

Videogame players come to the experience knowing and expecting
interaction, partly because they have been taught that trope over 30
years of tutorials in games - but also because there is a physical
thing to pick up that literally controls the game.

I'm jealous of that hand-held, physical controller games have but ARGs
don't. Some people are trying to use cell phones, in some ways, as ARG
controllers.... the problem is that videogame controllers have only
one purpose... and phones have a million.

There's symbolic power in the game console controller, as well as
programming power.
When a player picks it up - they lean forward to get into and interact
with the game. It's instantly not a "lean back"/passive entertainment
experience, both for the player and for those observing the player.

Anyway, I haven't fully formed this idea either - but as long as we're
tossing out things we're thinking about as it relates to getting
players more involved (or getting more players involved) I thought I'd
get it out there.

Wendy Despain