[arg_discuss] Looking for Resources on Engaging Casual Players in ARGs

John Maccabee johnmaccabee at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 18:19:51 EDT 2013

Thank you, one and all, for this. Wendy - great point*: overcoming the
default setting of inaction in an entertainment experience*.* *That's a big
one. I don't know if the number for ARGs [circa I LOVE BEES] still holds
but it is that 10% of players are playing daily, 30% play weekly, and 60%
are watching the other 40%. What I have been doing with mission-based
games, games that ask players to do for the game, is beginning with people
used to doing and making, i.e. DIYs. That could help blending tutorials
into the games. And I agree with Jamey - people who participate may not
care about the artifice in a game if it is presented as part of the
engagement. I'm trying to get the first romcom game going. The original
impetus for me to design ARGs/transmedia/whathaveyou had to do with my
association with the SF Public libraries. Ahead of the curve on that one.
Went with a museum instead. Best, John Maccabee

John Maccabee
citymystery.info
johnmaccabee at gmail.com
(c) 415-377-6839

<http://pheon.org>
game archives: ghostsofachance.com
PHEON <http://app.pheon.org/dashboard>
mission-based training/learning: mission-demo.info

mission-demo.info/admin[password: demo]