[arg_discuss] Looking for Resources on Engaging Casual Players in ARGs

Vujevits Márk vujevits.mark at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 04:53:13 EDT 2013

I think what you mean with controllers, is rather the interface. In
traditional games it's rather something well defined, hence the way the
interact is obvious, and you don't have a choice if you want to
participate. Even classical RPG-s have a well defined interface, it's the
speech between the players and the game master, and a few dice.

This is one of the the reasons what makes ARG a special experience, that
you have to discover this interface, which can also change during the game.

Mark Vujevits

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Wendy Despain <wendeth at wendydespain.com>wrote:

> I just realized in my rambling I forgot to explain my exception!

> I said: "But what I realized is that videogames -do- have exactly the

> same

> problem (with one exception, I'll get to in a minute) and they have

> solved it [with tutorials]."

> The difference/inherent advantage that videogames have vs. ARGs

> (leaving aside the approach of teaching players how they are expected

> to participate and giving them "permission" which I went on about in

> my other email) - is that videogames have devices called *controllers*

> and the audience has this physical device connecting them to the game

> experience and it has buttons heuristically designed to make you want

> to push them.

> Videogame players come to the experience knowing and expecting

> interaction, partly because they have been taught that trope over 30

> years of tutorials in games - but also because there is a physical

> thing to pick up that literally controls the game.

> I'm jealous of that hand-held, physical controller games have but ARGs

> don't. Some people are trying to use cell phones, in some ways, as ARG

> controllers.... the problem is that videogame controllers have only

> one purpose... and phones have a million.

> There's symbolic power in the game console controller, as well as

> programming power.

> When a player picks it up - they lean forward to get into and interact

> with the game. It's instantly not a "lean back"/passive entertainment

> experience, both for the player and for those observing the player.

> Anyway, I haven't fully formed this idea either - but as long as we're

> tossing out things we're thinking about as it relates to getting

> players more involved (or getting more players involved) I thought I'd

> get it out there.

> Wendy Despain

> On Thu, June 6, 2013 3:19 pm, John Maccabee wrote:

> > Thank you, one and all, for this. Wendy - great point*: overcoming

> > the

> > default setting of inaction in an entertainment experience*.* *That's

> > a big

> > one. I don't know if the number for ARGs [circa I LOVE BEES] still

> > holds

> > but it is that 10% of players are playing daily, 30% play weekly, and

> > 60%

> > are watching the other 40%. What I have been doing with mission-based

> > games, games that ask players to do for the game, is beginning with

> > people

> > used to doing and making, i.e. DIYs. That could help blending

> > tutorials

> > into the games. And I agree with Jamey - people who participate may

> > not

> > care about the artifice in a game if it is presented as part of the

> > engagement. I'm trying to get the first romcom game going. The

> > original

> > impetus for me to design ARGs/transmedia/whathaveyou had to do with my

> [...]

....................tel.:+36304453736
email: vujevits.mark at gmail.com