[arg_discuss] ARG metrics

Thomas Maillioux thomas.maillioux at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 04:27:49 EDT 2011

Hi there !

A very interesting question. A few years ago I asked the question around to
designers and game-designers I was in touch with and came up with only two
kinds of responses :

When the games are designed for a company, the metrics were kept for
internal use only
When the games were grassroot-designed, the metrics were either very small
(little visibility for the game) or not always relevant.

Top off my head, with another few years experience, I suppose you could look
into user traffic on specific pages, community activity over time (through
forum posts and user statistics, hashtags uses and activity on Tweeter,
members metrics on Facebook, views on YouTube for videos for example...) and
compare these numbers with the dev cost for the various media tidbits
involved. I'm sure the professional designers out there will have more ideas
to bring to the table though :)

T.
2011/9/14 Jeff Hull <jeff at nonchalance.com>

> Hi Claudia,

> are you near Amsterdam? I'm on a panel at the PICNIC festival called

> "Guerrilla Storytelling" this Friday. As far as hard metrics for ARG's I

> don't know where those are neatly compiled. Anyone?

> best,

> Jeff Hull

> : : creative director n o n c h a l a n c e

> : : 510.260.7527 / jeff at nonchalance.com

> : : http://about.nonchalance.com

> On Sep 14, 2011, at 8:37 AM, Claudia Rodriguez Ortiz wrote:

> Hello

>> I am a developer of ARGs in the Netherlands (and a researcher too) and I

>> am

>> wondering if anybody has conducted analytics on previous ARGs.

>> Are there any numbers out there that show how effective ARGs are? such as

>> average time spent or other measure of involvement? Has anybody compiled a

>> list of ARGs (commercial or non-commercial) and analyzed how many players

>> they attracted or some other metric showing their effectiveness?

>> Thanks in advance for any information or clues where I can find this.

>> Claudia

>> Ahead of the Game

>> PlayReal

"We do it because we are *compelled*."