[arg_discuss] ARG Accessibility?

Brooke Thompson brooke at giantmice.com
Mon Aug 22 15:47:52 EDT 2011

I've worked on campaigns where accessibility was a concern, but in
both instances, the games were designed to be played individually (and
both were contests of sorts, which comes with a need/desire for
fairness). Most ARGs are designed to be played in a community which
lets designers off the hook a bit. Fortunately, it's not uncommon for
portions of an ARG to be inaccessible to a segment of the audience
without help so when something is inaccessible due to disability it
tends to be less of an issue.

For example, in one game we released a virus. Only the computer savvy
were able to download it and read through the code to see what it did.
They spent hours reading through the code and explaining exactly what
was going on and informed the player-base. The person that most
accurately figured out what was happening, what it symbolized, and how
it fit into the larger story was not one of those computer savvy
programmer types -- she was far enough removed from the tedium of the
code and the logical thinking that coding requires to put it together
and explain it to the programmer types. It was all rather poetic.

That's a rather extreme example, but in many games there are story and
puzzle clues hidden in a way that requires special knowledge or access
to certain software or equipment. So when something is inaccessible
due to disability, while that's not great, there's a community of
folks ready and willing to help out - whether that's just explaining
what's going on or making it so it is accessible.

I will say that I think this leads to a more than relaxed concern
about general accessibility with the websites - even on large games
for big clients. Which isn't all that surprising to me than it is - I
think the web, in general, suffers from accessibility. And when sites
are built quickly on a tight budget (as they often are with ARGs),
accessibility is just not considered as much as it should be.

Brooke Thompson
Experience Design
www.giantmice.com

mobile: 321.277.7613