[arg_discuss] Alternate/Alternative Reality Game?

Burcu Bakioglu bbakiogl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 12:31:38 EDT 2010

Hi Masa,
Given that Wikipedia is always *correct*, I would go with the
Wikipedia version: Alternate Reality Gaming. I think that is the term
most of us use around here :) Glad to hear that Japan is getting in
the bandwagon too. Keep us posted!

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Masashi Seiki <epics at igda.jp> wrote:

> Hello, all!

> I'm Masa, a member of SIG-ARG of IGDA Japan chapter.

> IGDA Japan SIG-ARG was established about one years ago,

> and opened an ARG information blog in Japanese - http://arg.igda.jp/

> Eventually, ARG seems to become popular in Japan this year!

> Some ad companies and web developers announced that

> they would start ARG development business.

> So, discussions about ARG become active in Japan,

> and there is a very very basic question:

> -- "Alternate Reality Game" or "Alternative Reality Game" ?

> We refered to Wikipedia, ARGNet, ... then concluded that

> "Alternate Reality Game" seemed correct.

> But, we also understand that "ARG" is from a Sci-Fi term "Alternative Reality."

> So we are very confused.

> We can't feel the nuances between "Alternate Reality" and "Alternative Reality."

> If anyone knows, would you teach me, please?

> "Alternative Reality Game" is incorrect term?

> By the way, feel free to contact me if you are interested in ARGs in Japan.

> But I'm not good at English, so please write email in plain English :-)

> Thanks,

> Masashi Seiki

> Co-Chair of IGDA Japan SIG-ARG

Thanks,</burcu>

Burcu S. Bakioglu, Ph.D.

http://www.palefirer.com
http://palefirer.com/blog/
Skype: PaleFireR
AIM: PaleFireR

--
"Congratulations! You're the first human to fail the Turing test."