[arg_discuss] Alternate/Alternative Reality Game?

Masashi Seiki epics at igda.jp
Thu Aug 26 11:37:54 EDT 2010

Hello, all!
I'm Masa, a member of SIG-ARG of IGDA Japan chapter.

IGDA Japan SIG-ARG was established about one years ago,
and opened an ARG information blog in Japanese - http://arg.igda.jp/

Eventually, ARG seems to become popular in Japan this year!
Some ad companies and web developers announced that
they would start ARG development business.

So, discussions about ARG become active in Japan,
and there is a very very basic question:

-- "Alternate Reality Game" or "Alternative Reality Game" ?

We refered to Wikipedia, ARGNet, ... then concluded that
"Alternate Reality Game" seemed correct.
But, we also understand that "ARG" is from a Sci-Fi term "Alternative Reality."
So we are very confused.

We can't feel the nuances between "Alternate Reality" and "Alternative Reality."
If anyone knows, would you teach me, please?
"Alternative Reality Game" is incorrect term?

By the way, feel free to contact me if you are interested in ARGs in Japan.
But I'm not good at English, so please write email in plain English :-)

Thanks,

Masashi Seiki
Co-Chair of IGDA Japan SIG-ARG