[arg_discuss] What skills do you need for working in ARGs & transmedia

Andrea Phillips deusexmachinatio at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 13:48:01 EDT 2010

I think this counts me into Evan's corner, too. I'd love to see them
educating with an eye toward basic literacy in how our invisible
technical systems work. Not how to send an email, but how the email
system itself functions. What DNS is and why it matters. What a search
engine is doing and why the results are always changing.

People can use tools a lot more effectively if they know what the
tools *do*. And in our field, being able to identify the source of a
problem and fix it is a really big plus -- or knowing that a problem
will exist beforehand and changing the spec to suit. Ex., not relying
on fifty thousand emails to land in inboxes across the globe at
precisely the same minute, or not assuming that your players will have
mobile service at an event in the third subbasement of an old office
building.

Frankly, I wish this stuff was a part of all basic education systems.

--
Andrea Phillips
http://www.aaphillips.com